In the midst of challenges, sometimes it helps to be reminded of truth. Truth that compels us. Truth that challenges us. Truth that sustains us. Truth that empowers us.
Sometimes, as foster and adoptive parents, we need to be reminded of simple truths. Not because we don't know them, but because we've been immersed in loving our people, advocating for the needs of others, and working through grief, trauma, and loss with our precious kiddos. If you find yourself in need of refreshing, this one is for you.
10 reminders for foster and adoptive parents:
1) You are not alone.
2) Your kiddo's lack of attachment is not a direct reflection of you or your parenting or any type of lack or failure on your part.
3) Hurting people hurt people - including small hurting people who come into our lives in desperate need of big people to walk them through that hurt to healing.
4) Being a mom is hard. Being a trauma momma is really hard.
5) Give yourself grace.
6) Other people may not understand - they may not see when your kid rejects you - but God does, and He's right there with you as you're processing that hurt.
7) Don't harden your heart - that's the easy way out with this. God has the ability to write beautiful redemptive stories from tragic beginnings.
8) It's okay to be hurt, but take that hurt directly to our Heavenly Father, who adopted us and knows the pain of having His child ignore Him.
9) Adoption is spiritual warfare.
10) Reach out to trusted people to pray with and for you and your family.
Could you use some grace, kindness, and bits of joy?
the start of something new.
Over the next weeks, I will be sharing a post inspired by each of these reminders. Friends, in order for us to love well, we have to know first that we are loved. In order to live lives laid down with grace, we have to receive grace. In order to pour out, we need to be filled up.
It is my prayerful hope that this series will bring refreshing to the weary, hope to the hurting, and solidarity to those feeling alone.
If I can pray for you, please leave a comment or contact me through my contact page. I would be honored to pray with and for you!
Here you will find the musings of a homeschooling, work from home, adoptive Momma of 7! Adventures in faith, family, adoption, and training up a tribe to follow hard after Jesus are spilled into these posts --- most often written with a cup of coffee in hand. I hope you'll stick around a while and find something - more likely SOMEONE! - that brings you hope!
get your copy of my book today!
how i keep up!
where i link up!